Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Good Book-Gone-Movie

Fridays are always kind of blah when Kent's away.  I guess it's because we usually always do something fun on Fridays-- whether it's going out or just ordering a pizza and vegging out on the couch.  Last night, however, I pretty much beat my "Friday blues" by going to lunch and to a movie with one of my good friends here.

I was soooooo excited to see the movie!  I'd been waiting for months for it to come out... basically since I read the book a couple years ago and heard that there would be a movie made.

Know what it was?

Water for Elephants

I read the book when it was really being pushed in the book stores.  (You know how they always have certain ones facing you, and then the cool cover and catchy title just draw you in?  That's what happened to me.)  I was a little skeptical when I first started reading, but when I really gave it a chance, it didn't take long to become completely immersed in it.  Perhaps it's just that I love reading about anything from that time period-- the 1930s and 40s, but it was a really interesting read.

If you haven't already gathered from the movie previews, it is a bit of a complicated love story between a man who pretty much stumbles into a traveling circus and the circus' star performer, who just happens to be the boss's wife. An elephant named Rosie, who is picked up from the remains of another traveling circus gone under, is the  four-legged lead character.  The book details the way of life for everyone on the road with the circus during the Depression, along with the animals.  The way the story was written, the interesting characters, and the harsh and sometimes brutal ways of life within a traveling circus intrigued me, and when I finished the book I thought about it for a long time.  Even now, it's one of those that I've read and find myself referring back to from time to time when I see, hear, or read something about a circus or sideshow.  I guess it's what book critics mean when they sometimes say a book is "haunting."  It just sticks with you for a while.

Needless to say, I was very excited to see the movie.  I was also a little nervous that it wouldn't live up to my expectations.  Luckily, I was pleasantly surprised with the movie.  Critics had harsh reviews, but that usually means that I'll love the movie. (I can almost always judge how I'll like a movie by critic's reviews.  If they love it, I'll hate it, and visa versa... Is anyone else like this, or is it just me?)  I felt that the writers/directors/producers/whoever did a great job translating the book into film.  It stayed very true to the book, and I always appreciate that.  The characters were veeeery close to what I had dreamed up in my mind, and I felt they chose wisely for just about every character.

I thought that Reese Witherspoon and Robert Pattinson both did a great job and fit the bill for their characters, but I'm not sure that they had quite enough of a spark when it comes to chemistry.  I can't really think of anyone better, though, so I don't know.  Did anyone else see the movie last night and think this?

Anyhoo... I would highly recommend the book and the movie.  However, as usual, I think I would say to read the book first.  It fills in any gaps, and you know exactly what is happening in the movie... It's just like your seeing a projection of the story you already have in your mind, just on the screen. 

All in all, I'd say it was a great way to try and beat my "Friday blues."  I'm interested to know if anyone else has read the book and/or seen the movie.  If you have, what did you think?  

Happy Weekend everybody!  :)

2 comments:

  1. You've got me wanting to read that book now! It's going to be on my read list for May, and of course I'll have to see the movie as soon as I can too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do highly recommend it. I also just finished another book that I thought was pretty awesome. It's called "Half Broke Horses" and is a novel based on the true story of a phenomenal woman living through the Depression, among tons of other trials and tribulations. I think I might write about it in another post soon. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments! Put a smile on my face and show me some love. :-)