Saturday, April 30, 2011

Simple Sewing Makeover

Well, I'm on a MAJOR sewing kick right now.  It started with the project that I'm just about to show you...  I made covers for my lanai chair cushions.

First of all, let me just say that I wasn't going to re-cover them myself.  I had every intention of taking the easy way out and buying some nice new ones from Home Depot or somewhere. 

Then, I looked at the prices.  Ummm... no, I'm not paying $25 for one stupid cushion that's not even that cute.  So I went to the fabric store and found some pretty heavy duty upholstery fabric. (I didn't worry about the "outdoor" fabric because these are technically not outside.)  I bought 4 yards of fabric (which turned out to be too much for this project, leaving me leftovers that were perfect for something else I'll show you soon.)  That 4 yards cost $20.00.  Basically, I got 4 brand spanking new--sorta-- cushions for less than the price of one new one from Home Depot/Lowe's/wherever.  I was a happy camper.


I really really love how they came out!

The colors are so much happier than the old burgandy cushions.

Happy, right?  :)

So, once I did that project, it sparked another...

You know how when you re-do one thing and it starts looking super spiffy, you start noticing that other things look pretty shabby?  Yeah, that's what's happening right now....

I took a good look at the cushions on my couch, and they looked pretty grungy.  Two years of living with a manly, dirty dude (a.k.a. my hubby who is always working on something outside) will do that.  (No, the dogs don't do it... I never have to clean up much at all when it's just me and "the boys.")  Well, since mt lanai was looking all nice, I couldn't have grungy, yucky couch cushions!

So I hit up the fabric store... again... 

I found some things I really liked, so I brought home some more fabric.  :)  Right now, I'm finishing up a couple of the pillows, so I'm not going to show you just yet.  You'll get photos in the next few days though... More before and afters... Yay!  So be on the look out.  

Anyhoo, that's what I'm working on this weekend, as well as hopefully taking a little "me time" to lay by the pool and work reading my latest book.  I'm taking Sunday all for myself, so I'll have more for you on Monday.  Have a happy weekend!

P.S.  I told you guys I would tell you how my scones from my Royal Wedding festive-ness turned out.  Ummm... They were UH-mazing!  I highly recommend trying that recipe.  
Yum. Yum.
They turned out just like the photo in the recipe. (This is my photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your comments! Put a smile on my face and show me some love. :-)