Sunday, April 17, 2011

Two Tone Hibiscus Nails

I've got a new nail design for you!  :)  (Just in case you are stopping by for the first time, I always do nail art on my toes... For one, I live in Hawaii and wear flip flops constantly, and two, I'm always doing projects or creating artwork , so nothing EVER sticks on my fingernails.)

In my last nail art post with blue nails and a simple white flower, I promised to show you how to create a two-toned hibiscus. 

This is what I came up with...


I started by choosing my colors.
1.  Dark "pink" color for the center of my flower.
2.  Pale pink for the all over background color.
3. Bright pink for the blending color in the flower.
4.  Yellow for the main part of the flower petals.
5.  Green for leaves and embellishments.
**Not pictured is my clear Base/Top Coat 

I painted my base coat and all over color.

Then I gathered my nail art tools and petal colors.

You can use nail art tools like these to make dots, or you can do what my friend Cat from No Wooden Spoons suggested and use the ball on the end of a sewing pin and keep it nice and safe by sticking the sharp point into a pencil eraser. 

It also helps to put a drop of polish on a scrap of paper and dip into the dot.  It's way less messy.

I created five fairly large yellow dots as petals.




This was followed by five small bright pink dots just inside each yellow one.

While all the dots were still wet, I used a toothpick to drag the colors to the middle.
At this point, I didn't think there was enough contrast in my flower, so I sort of turned it into a three toned flower by adding one darker dot in the center and using the toothpick to sort of blend the color outward just a wee little bit...
Don't worry if it looks a little lumpy in some places at this point... The top coat will help everything look much nicer and more smooth.

I wanted to add a few teeny tiny yellow dots in the center to represent the hibiscus center.  (You don't have to if you don't want to... It's whatever you think looks best.)  You could use the tip of a toothpick or a small tipped nail art tool like I have.

Finally, I used my small tipped nail art tool to create "leaves" on each side of the flower, and a series of tiny green dots as embellishments.

I let my design DRY, and then I added the top coat to smooth everything out and protect my work.



Then I had island hibiscus toes!
Don't worry if they aren't absolutely perfect!  No one needs to be that close to your toes anyway... if they are, you can just kick them!  ;)

Hope you like them and give them a try sometime!

2 comments:

I love getting your comments! Put a smile on my face and show me some love. :-)