Wednesday, April 13, 2011

What's Cooking Wednesday: Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole

I don't know about you guys, but I'm always trying to find new tasty recipes to try.  Occasionally I find myself in a recipe rut and know it's time to search for something new.  To give myself an incentive to do this more often, I'm going to try something new and share it with you on my "What's Cooking Wednesday" post, so here we go with the first one.  :)

I'd been seeing commercials for Philadelphia Cooking Cream on television, and it looked so good to me (because I LOVE cream cheese) that I decided to buy some the next time I ventured to the grocery store.

I bought the two flavors they had, but when I got home I didn't really know what to do with them.  I looked on their website and checked out the recipes.  I finally found one that looked super simple, and I actually had all the ingredients on hand.  It looked pretty yummy, so I decided to give it a go.


I tried the Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole, and this is how it went down.




The finished product looks pretty yummy, right?

I pulled out all the ingredients I was going to need, which included 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces, 1 package of frozen broccoli thawed and drained, 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, 1 tub of Philadelphia Savory Garlic Cooking Creme, 1/2 cup milk, about a cup of Ritz crackers, and one tablespoon of butter.

After I cut the chicken into small pieces, I preheated the oven to 400 degrees and mixed the chicken, broccoli, sharp cheddar cheese, milk, and cooking creme in a 9x13 baking dish. 




The recipe says to let it bake for 25 minutes, but since I'm a freak when it comes to cooking chicken until it is reeeeeaaaaallllly well done, I let it cook a little longer.  (I checked it at 25 minutes, and it wasn't done, so I let it cook about 10 or so more.)

While that cooks, crush the Ritz crackers and mix with the melted butter.

When the chicken is done, top with the Ritz mixture and bake for another 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.


Mmmmm....

When the topping is nice and golden brown, take it out, let it cool, and enjoy!


I thought it was a pretty good dish all in all.  I'll definitely be making it again.   I don't know if I really liked it as a main dish, but I can certainly see bringing it to holiday gatherings or potlucks as a little something different and extra. 

Let me know if you give it a try!  :)

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I love trying new recipes. I'll be bookmarking this for later!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments! Put a smile on my face and show me some love. :-)