Wednesday, April 20, 2011

What's Cooking Wednesday: Sweet and Sour Meatballs

Happy Wednesday everyone!  It's time for another installation of "What's Cooking Wednesday."  :)

The recipe I'm sharing today isn't actually a "new" recipe for me... It's just a family favorite.  My dad found this recipe in a Farmer's Market Bulletin years ago, and we've been making it ever since.  Back home with my mom, dad, sweet Mimi, my brother, my sister, me, and whoever else wandered up for dinner, we would quadruple** the recipe!  Here, though, with just Kent and me, I follow the single recipe and we enjoy leftovers a time or two.

 Yum yum!

Now, without further ado, here's the recipe for them! 

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and gather 1 pound of beef, 1 cup of milk, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper, and 1/2 cup of cracker crumbs.  Combine all of those ingredients, and form about 10 or 12 meatballs.  Place them in a single layer in a dish


Cook until almost done.  Depending on how many you cook, the time will vary.  Just watch them.  When I made this exact recipe, it took about 30-40 minutes or so to reach the "almost done" phase. (Then again, my current oven is a hunk-o'-junk.)

While these are cooking, chop one medium sized green pepper and one onion.  Then combine with 1 cup ketchup, 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 cup of sugar, and 1/2 cup of cider vinegar in a small to medium sized bowl.


When the meatballs are almost done, take them out and drain the grease.  (Unless you want to leave it in there for some reason...)  I use a couple of paper towels and tilt the pan to the side.  

(This was before I drained them.)

Finally, pour the sauce over the meatballs, making sure that each one gets coated, and bake until done.

  
When the meat is no longer pink, take them out and enjoy!



I love serving them over rice with a little extra sauce... yummy yummy.


It's also great with mashed potatoes, vegetables, and good old-fashioned Southern biscuits... Mmmm Mmmm 

Hope you guys give this one a try and enjoy them as much as my family does!  Let me know if you decide to try them or think you might in the future.  :)

**If you decide to double or even quadruple this recipe, be wary of doubling or quadrupling the milk... Just eyeball it.  You want it moist, but not soaking wet.  

On another note, I spent the entire day yesterday doing a major cleaning in my house, so maybe now I can focus more on my artwork.  Yay!  I can't stand to be in a messy house.  (Maybe I'm a little bit O.C.D.)  I was lucky to take a couple of breaks to talk to a sweet friend from waaaaay back on Skype, and then talk to my Daddy for a while.  :)  Kinda made my day.   Hopefully today will be just as productive, pleasant, and exhausting!

P.S.  Don't forget to enter for the free pet portrait giveaway!  Entering is as easy as leaving a comment (or two actually because you have the chance to enter twice!).  Hop on over to yesterday's post if you haven't entered.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! This is going on my "to try" list for next week!! Those look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're going to try them! They really are good, and I think they are even better the next day as leftovers since the juices and flavors had more time to mingle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what's cooking at our house tonight thanks to your post this morning :) Shooter put the meatballs together lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to remember this one when we get to Texas...miss you guys and the boys too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss you too Stephanie! It's just not right not seeing your yellow truck in your garage!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments! Put a smile on my face and show me some love. :-)