Monday, May 30, 2011

Learning Something New

Last week I recovered a papasan chair cushion for a friend.  She went with me to pick out the fabric, but I went later to get yarn for the tied-off areas of the cushion.  I knew I would barely use a fraction of the yarn for the papasan cushion project, so while I was standing in the yarn aisle, I decided I wanted to learn something new and create something with the leftover yarn. 

Do you ever just feel like you need to learn something new?  I think we all do.  I know I feel that way a lot.  Sometimes I just find myself wanting to know how to do everything.  I know I can't know everything, but I sure want to learn lots and lots about being crafty, making things, and making art. 

That particular day I looked over at the crochet needles and knew what I wanted to learn next.  Now, I had tried to learn to crochet when I was younger, and I sort of picked it up.  (It was just hard for anyone to teach me since I'm a lefty.)  While trying to decide which needle to get, I happened to see one with a little how-to booklet... and that booklet had a whole section for lefties!  Bingo!

So home I went with yarn sure to have leftovers and a crochet needle.  When I sat down to teach myself, the booklet was helpful to a certain extent, but I needed more visuals, so I turned to YouTube.  It took some practice... okay, kind of a lot of practice, but I finally pretty much got the hang of it.  I'm still not sure if I'm really good at "turning the chain," and my edges sometimes shrink and grow when trying to make a scarf or something, but I do understand the general concept. 

I played around with it, experimented, did a scarf-like thingy or two, unraveled them because they looked wonky, and tried them again.  And I did this several times.  When I finally got something similar to a straight piece, I decided to turn it into a little bag.

 
It's certainly not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it's functional and halfway cute.

Since I had finally made something, I thought I'd try something more complicated.  I didn't have a pattern (and even if I did, I wouldn't have known how the heck to read it), so I just started figuring it out as I went.  I wanted to make a sock cap.  I probably didn't go about it the "right" way, but I made a little hat.

Funny story about this little hat.  I started out trying to make a sock cap for myself or some other adult sized person.  I did the little chain stitch thing for the start, and it was big enough for me, but I didn't realize it shrinks up a little when you start the actual crochet stitch.  It ended up being baby sized.  Luckily, I have a super sweet friend who is having a baby boy in about a month, so I decided to give it to her.  :)

Then, I was bound and determined to figure out how to make an adult sized cap.... so I tried again.  This time, I had learned from some of my mistakes before, and I had more success.

I know, I know... I'm not going to get to use it much living here.  Sock caps look kinda silly with palm trees swaying in 80+ degree weather, and I think it might be a fashion faux pas with a bikini.  It's okay though, I'll just wear it on visits to colder places.  

I still need a lot more practice, but I think I've found yet one more hobby that I enjoy.  It's really relaxing. 

I've even got some ideas for things like this for my shop.  :)  Maybe I can  make some of them come to life soon.  We'll see.  In the mean time, there are still some Puppy Love paintings that need homes.  Go adopt one today.  If you don't see one that's just for you, just shoot me an e-mail, and I'll match you up with just the right one in your breed and your colors.  

Happy Monday!  Hope everyone learns at least one new thing this week!

P.S.  I'm sending great big birthday wishes to my awesome husband!  Wherever he is, I hope it's a good birthday.  :)  I'll make a cake when he returns!

3 comments:

  1. I really want to learn how to crochet! I know how to knit (kind of?) but I've been wanting to learn for a while. perhaps I'll have to give it a go. Cute hat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay!! i crochet buddy!! well, i knit, but we can still share patterns. i have a few crochet magazines that you can look through for patterns. we should make a group on ravelry.com. go check it out!! you will fall in love with that site.
    and HAPPY BIRTHDAY KENT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun new hobby! I'm not good at crocheting - tried it 10 years ago and nothing quite turned out. Your hats are cute =)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments! Put a smile on my face and show me some love. :-)