Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Little Appeciation

At 3 years old it's, "Mommy, I love you."
At 10 years old it's, "Mom, whatever."
At 16 years old it's, "My mom is annoying."
At 18 years old it's, "I'm leaving this house."
At 25 years old it's, "Mom, you were right."
At 30 years old it's, "I want to go to mom's house."
At 50 years old it's, "I don't want to lose my mom."
At 70 years old it's, "I would give up everything to have my mom here with me."

You only have one mom.

I saw this on someone's Facebook status the other day, and I tried to find the source but had no luck.  All I know is that it's true, and it's a reminder to appreciate our moms not just today on Mother's Day, but every day.

I know I haven't always shown my mom the appreciation she deserves, but I sure hope she knows how much I love her.

For a while after my mom and dad got married, my mom was not even sure she wanted kids-- or at least she wasn't at the point where she felt "ready."  I came as a complete and total surprise, against all odds.  We're talking despite "The Pill,"  date nights out on the town with cocktails, trips to the sauna, diet foods and drinks, and long, hard runs to lose that "pesky few pounds" that wouldn't budge. 

After dealing with a hard lump in her abdomen that wouldn't go away despite all the dieting and exercise, my mom thought it was time to go to the doc.  If you know my sweet mama, you won't be surprised to hear that she was convinced she had a tumor... since there was no way she could be expecting.  She got a doctor's appointment that happened to fall on a Friday the 13th... Yep, she knew she was doomed. 

Friday the 13th came, and she insisted on going to the doctor alone so she could take on the bad news by herself.  Well, that doctor's appointment went nothing like she had planned.  Before she knew it, the nurse was coming in telling her to "go home and get out of those size 6 jeans" because she was 5 months pregnant.  (To answer everyone's burning question right now without too much detail... Yes, she was functioning just like a non-pregnant woman that whole 5 months, if you get my drift.)  Needless to say, she was pretty shocked and soon had what she has described as "the shortest pregnancy ever."

My mom may not have thought she was "ready" for me, but she embraced her role as a mother, and she has loved me with every ounce of her being from the moment she knew about me.  (And I'm guessing that God knew she was more ready that she thought because she had two more kiddos after me.)  I am so thankful for all she has given me, all she has done for me, and all she has taught me about kindness, compassion, and love for all people and all living things.  Like so many, she is a remarkable woman who just doesn't get thanked enough.

I am so blessed to have come into this world to a woman as special as my mama.

 (Can we say butterball?)


 

(This is where I get my love for animals.)

(Yeah, I didn't have hair until I was like 4.  I had to wear 
super girlie clothes or people thought I was a boy.)

(My mom worked at a bank where they dressed up for Halloween.)

(By the end of that Halloween I was a sick kiddo... I believe I had to go to the 
hospital because I was dehydrated.)


(Isn't she beautiful?)
  

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms!  
(And especially my sweet Mama.)

** A special thanks to my sister Brittany for helping me get some pictures of me and my mom from when I was little.  I didn't bring many photos with me to Hawaii, so my sweet sister searched the photos at home and took pictures of pictures since their scanner doesn't work. (Which also explains picture quality)  ;-)  **

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for these precious words baby girl!! This is the most thoughtful Mother's Day gift! Like I've told you so many times before, God has a special purpose for you in this life and I'm blessed to be your mom and so proud of the beautiful and amazingly talented woman you have become! I miss you and I love you...forever and ever...ALWAYS! Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet!! I just started crying over it lol Very well said about mama! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww...the obvious love you have for her and your friendship brought tears to my eyes. I hope your momma has a very blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing Mother's Day tribute. Nothing can take the place of your precious mommy. I miss mine everyday. Cherish all the days you've ever had and will have. Being a mom and now a grammy is the very best that life has to offer. There's never been a mom that loved her kids like your mom loves the 3 of you. She's a very special lady and yall are very lucky guys....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lindsay - this is so beautiful - you are the amazing woman you are today because of your dear & special "Mama" - praying that you one day will experience the pure joy of being a "Mama". Thank you for sharing this wonderful tribute to your "Mama".
    Terri Thurmond

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments! Put a smile on my face and show me some love. :-)